- The President of the USCCB, Archbishop Gomez, will re-consecrate the United States to Mary, Mother of the Church on Friday, May 1 at 3 pm (our time). This special event is sponsored by the USCCB and they are producing the worship aids and plans. When they are made available I will be sure to distribute them to you as well as give you further information on how the Diocese of Harrisburg and our parishes will be able to participate in this event.
- The Holy Father, Pope Francis, issued a letter on the Holy Rosary this morning. It can be found in its entirety in a variety of languages here: http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/it/bollettino/pubblico/2020/04/25/0245/00535.html . In the letter, the Holy Father urges us to “rediscover the beauty of praying the Rosary at home.” Pastors are asked to invite their parishioners to pray the Rosary at home as family units during the month of May with the particular intentions of uniting us further as a spiritual family and overcoming the current pandemic. The Holy Father offers two prayers that may be used to conclude the Rosary during this time, inspired by the Sub Tuum Praesidium, a most ancient Marian devotion. You are encouraged to pray the Rosary via livestream during the month of May – perhaps prior to or following daily and/or Sunday Mass; or, at another convenient time. This is a beautiful opportunity to catechize on the origins and power of the Holy Rosary as well as to deepen our reflections on the mysteries of the Lord and our Lady that are contained therein. There are so many beautiful meditations on the mysteries of the Rosary that move beyond a perfunctory repetition of prayers and help lead us into deeper meditation on the mysteries of our redemption.
A brief list of resources for the Holy Rosary (you may know of others):
- A simple guide on “how to pray”: http://www.kofc.org/en/resources/cis/devotionals/4772.pdf
- Apostolic Letter of St John Paul II on the Rosary: http://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/apost_letters/2002/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae.html
- Meditations from St John Paul II Society: https://www.stjohnpaul.org/rosary-meditations/
- Meditations by Archbishop Fulton Sheen: https://traditionalcatholicprayers.com/2019/11/14/fulton-sheens-meditations-on-the-15-mysteries-of-the-rosary/
On another note: There are many questions regarding the gradual lifting of restrictions for public worship and the use of our churches. As these decisions are made you will be notified. Thank you for your patience.
In His Heart,